What is Workplace Wellness? How to Achieve It?
Implementing workplace wellness should be a priority because healthy workers are happy and productive workers. Here are useful tips and insights to get it done.
If your team is productive, efficient, and present at all times, your business is run at its optimal capacity. That translates to more income, more growth, and a better position in the industry. It’s important, therefore, to ensure the good health and well-being of your team. After all, your team is the engine that keeps the company going. You have to keep that engine oiled and running well.
Incorporating a workplace wellness program ensures that your employees are in good health. It contributes to a more positive and productive workplace.
What Is Workplace Wellness?
Also known as corporate well-being, workplace wellness refers to policies, programs, activities, physical designs, and best practices to support safe and healthy behavior in the workplace. Typically, this can range from regular company-sponsored medical checkups, wellness programs, and health education sessions to ergonomic workstations, health-related facilities, and self-tracking devices.
Workplace wellness policies can include exercise sessions, financial incentives for participating in wellness programs, or healthy food in vending machines.
Technology, business climates, and industry demands change rapidly. As such, the terms of workplace wellness adapt to such changes to make the working environment a better and healthier one.
Why Is Workplace Wellness Important?
Investing in workplace wellness programs can gain a lot of benefits for everyone involved.
- These programs motivate employees to live a healthy lifestyle. The company can save on their worker’s healthcare costs.
- Healthy workers reduce the rate of absenteeism, which means the business can churn out optimal output.
- Healthy workers are efficient, happy, motivated, and less stressed. This creates a more positive and supportive environment.
- Wellness programs can lessen stress-related burnout, preventing inefficiency and underperformance.
- Workplace wellness as part of employee benefits can give the company a positive and credible image. Employees, clients, and other parties will see the company as a noble organization that cares for the welfare of its team.
How To Achieve Workplace Wellness
Here are some wellness tips to make your workplace a healthier one:
Upgrade your workstations so that your team can work whether they’re sitting or standing. According to research, working while standing up makes the person more focused and more efficient. Standing up is also considered a healthier working position than sitting down.
- This upgrade can be as simple as installing sit-to-stand systems like the Workrite Solace Sit to Stand Station or the Humanscale Quickstand on an existing desk. This allows a worker to smoothly transition from a sitting position to a standing position without ceasing their work. Modifying the existing desk is not required.
- Change your existing chairs to ergonomic chairs, such as the Humanscale Standard Freedom Headrest. These modern chairs support workers’ bodies so they’re more comfortable and less exhausted, even working long hours.
- Use ergonomic computer peripherals. For example, the Kinesis Advantage 360 Split Ergonomic Keyboard allows your team member to work on his computer in the most relaxed and neutral position. Paired with an Evoluent Vertical Mouse, he can deliver maximum output, thanks to a non-stressful and healthy typing position.
Integrate exercise and wellness sessions into their daily schedule. Let them stretch out, do yoga, or jog in place every 15 to 30 minutes. In time, this should become a habit and a welcome break in their daily work routine.
Wellness Facility or Health Benefit
If possible, invest in facilities that will encourage healthy living. A small in-office gym, a set of exercise machines, or a healthy-foods-only pantry are just some of these ideas.
- Giving your employees a monthly health package (i.e. a bottle of multivitamins, a basic gym membership, etc.) is also an excellent idea, provided you have the budget.
- Make medical checkups part of your employee benefits. Better yet, make them mandatory. This ensures that they are in the best of health.
- Invite doctors, health workers, nutritionists, and other specialists in the healthcare industry to share insights with your team about best practices for maintaining good health.
Healthy team members contribute to a healthy business. With a good workplace wellness initiative, you create a healthy, happy, effective, and supportive environment that catalyzes your business’s success.